The First Mess »

Masthead header

chickpea, cauliflower + Old Bay veggie burgers w/ vegan cashew lemon mayo

chickpea, cauliflower + Old Bay veggie burgers // the first messchickpea, cauliflower + Old Bay veggie burger ingredients // the first messdrying chickpeas // the first messchickpea, cauliflower + Old Bay veggie burgers // the first mess
My little neighbourhood is small and chatty. I was pulling out dandelions in my front yard when an older man that lives a few houses down came right over in his bare feet and joked that I was wasting my time before he introduced himself. It is pretty hard to keep up with those little suckers, but! John reminded me that they are edible, because he’s seen some of the “little old Italian ladies” cooking them up with garlic and whatnot. “What do they call it again…?” he asked. “Cicoria!” I said, recalling the waxed boxes of bitter greens that sometimes popped up at my dad’s store

So I finished up the little weeding session and poured myself an ice cold glass of water with a squeeze of lime, perched at my living room window for a minute. And what did I see next? John was digging the dandelions out of his front yard too. Didn’t he just say I was wasting my time?

I think makin’ it better is almost always contagious if approached with warmth and casual grace. Whether it’s the front lawn, the state of your home in general, the everyday food and drink choices, considerations of the whole world when you buy shampoo. That’s why people love healthy living-focused Instagram accounts, DIY blogs, them Oprah quote-graced cup sleeves at Starbucks, and the natural beauty products section of any given Target store.

It’s those shiny bits of the everyday that make some of the more elusive, heavy-with-life things seem within reach. Will those tiny actions stop the west Antarctic ice sheet from collapsing? Well no, and I don’t think I’ll be bringing that topic up with the neighbours anytime soon either. They always tell you to think big when you’re coming up, but focusing small has shown plenty of merit in my time here.

So as usual, plant-heavy meal preparation is the small focus strategy that reigns supreme. It keeps us feeling stronger in our immediate space, with a simultaneous awareness of how that choice can make an impact out there. Small and mighty. Except this burger is kinda huge. We enjoyed these one night with big piles of greens, and then I scarfed one in the more traditional way on some sourdough bread for breakfast the next morning. I had been thinking about Old Bay as the dominant flavour in a veggie burger. It’s generally more of a seafood kind of spice, but I knew that it would mingle nicely with a chickpea-based patty and a creamy, lemony mayo-like accompaniment. I was rather satisfied with how these came together. They punch all of the flavour and texture buttons for me, especially with a few slices of avocado in the mix. Maybe my neighbours will start asking for veggie burger recipes soon?

mix // the first messchickpea, cauliflower + Old Bay veggie burgers // the first messchickpea, cauliflower + Old Bay veggie burgers // the first messchickpea, cauliflower + Old Bay veggie burgers // the first mess
chickpea, cauliflower + Old Bay veggie burgers w/ cashew lemon mayo
serves: 4
notes: If you don’t vibe to oats/can’t be bothered making oat flour, feel free to use all chickpea flour for the total amount (1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons). I just did a mix because I was finding the chickpea flavour a bit strong. Also, I just make chickpea flour by grinding dry/non-cooked chickpeas in my blender. I feel like this could be possible in a food processor or coffee grinder as well. If you don’t have Old Bay in your nook of the world, you can make it yourself (link)!

burger mix ingredients:
2 cups cauliflower florets
2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and rough chopped
1 tbsp Old Bay seasoning
1 tbsp olive oil
squeeze of lemon juice
salt + pepper (be mindful that Old Bay has hella salt already)
1/4 cup chickpea flour
3 tbsp oat flour
1/3 cup chopped chives

cashew lemon mayo ingredients:
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours
1 tbsp lemon juice
splash of white wine vinegar
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp-1/3 cup filtered water
salt to taste

assembly etc.!
buns, bread, boston/butter lettuce wraps, whatever you’re feeling
oil for sautéeing the burgers
avocado slices
red onion slices
greens

Set a large pot with an inch or two of water over medium heat. Place the cauliflower florets in a steamer basket. Once the water in the pot is simmering, place the steamer basket in and put a lid on top. Steam the cauliflower until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Remove the cauliflower and run some cold water over it to prevent further cooking. Towel the florets lightly and then place in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the “S” blade.

To the food processor, add the chickpeas, garlic, Old Bay seasoning, olive oil, lemon juice, salt + pepper. Pulse the mixture until you have a meal that clumps together when you squeeze it. You should still see little bits of chickpeas. Dump the chickpea and cauliflower mixture into a large bowl and stir in the flours and chopped chives until your mix is fully combined and the flour is absorbed. Taste the mixture for seasoning (hooray for no raw egg scares!) and adjust accordingly.

Divide the mix into 4 equal portions and form patties with your hands. Place the patties on a plate and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Let these set up in the refrigerator for at least an hour.

Make the cashew lemon mayo. In a blender pitcher, combine the cashews, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, dijon mustard, salt, and 2 tablespoons of water to start. Blend the mixture on high, adding more water and scraping the sides as necessary. Keep going until you have a creamy/smooth mayo-like consistency. Scrape the mayo into a container, cover, and place in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.

Heat a good slick  of oil in a non-stick sauté pan over medium heat. Place the burgers in the pan, maybe two at a time maximum. Fry until one side is golden and then gently flip them over. Keep moving them around the pan to acvhieve maximal browning on the sides. Remove from the pan when the other side is golden. Keep warm on a parchment lined baking sheet in a low oven. Repeat with remaining burgers. Serve hot with lettuce wraps/buns, cashew lemon mayo, avocado, red onion etc.!

You might also like…

the veggie burger of my dreams ❤

“Each of us feels some aspect of the world’s suffering acutely. And we must pay attention. We must act. ThisView full post »

spring onion falafel with millet + some accompaniments

There are plenty of things keeping me up at night lately and while I’ve already cut my caffeine consumption downView full post »

rosemary mushroom + chickpea ragoût on toast

This is something that I would make for me and me alone. My man isn’t a lover of mushrooms and seriously? How isView full post »

pin it subscribe tweet this post share on facebook email to a friend
Rosie @The Porridge Pot15/05/2014 - 5:43 am

I love old neighbors sharing their wisdom!

Lauren15/05/2014 - 5:48 am

these burgers look so yummy, i will definitely be making these !
Lauren x

Deena kakaya15/05/2014 - 5:56 am

Whenever I think of making bean or pulse burgers I always wonder if they will feel too dense. Your recipe looks light and crisp and your pictures are beautiful. X

Jo from yummyvege15/05/2014 - 6:41 am

These look great and I’ll definitely be trying the cashew mayo as I don’t like soya mayo.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar15/05/2014 - 7:35 am

This sounds so yummy!! Love that burger recipe – it looks so easy!

lynsey //lynseylovesfood15/05/2014 - 7:46 am

I love this story and I love the sounds of this burger. Makin’ it better! xo

Anne @AVeganAdventure15/05/2014 - 8:27 am

Old Bay seasoning is a great idea! The burgers look delish!

I love trying new veggie burger recipes! Pinning this to make it later. :)

Kate15/05/2014 - 9:02 am

Amen, Laura. I’d rather focus on small, tangible, good-for-us pleasures like cauliflower veggie burgers than the inevitable collapse of the ice sheet (yikes!). These burgers sound fantastic.

Lisa @ Simple Pairings15/05/2014 - 9:07 am

This looks like such a flavorful veggie burger, especially with that cashew lemon mayo. I think this is something that would be even better than a standard burger – more complex and dynamic! Pinned.

Amy @ Parsley In My Teeth15/05/2014 - 9:50 am

These sound fantastic. I love the punch you give it with the Old Bay spice!

Mila15/05/2014 - 2:47 pm

Great recipe and beautiful pics as usual!

Grace15/05/2014 - 4:27 pm

Beautiful outlook on life and a beautiful burger to go with it!

Tieghan15/05/2014 - 11:04 pm

These look so amazing. Love that cashew mayo!

links for you | jenneng16/05/2014 - 8:53 am

[…] Something healthy. […]

Ellen16/05/2014 - 10:04 am

Love your recipes and photography! I’m wondering what kind of blender is shown there and how long does the mayo last?

Laura Wright16/05/2014 - 12:59 pm

Hi Ellen! Thanks for your comments. The blender is a 5+ year old Vitamix, which I will add has been worth the investment and then some for myself. And the mayo should be good in the fridge for 5 days if you cover it up. I would recommend a little stir each time you get it out. Side bar: this mayo is really delicious with sweet potato fries if you want to use some up :)
-L

Ellen @ The Perennial Style16/05/2014 - 5:06 pm

Yum! This looks delicious – Cannot wait to try it!

abby - little city adventures16/05/2014 - 5:48 pm

Well this looks amazing! Wish I had seen this recipe before I did my grocery shopping!

Brian @ A Thought For Food17/05/2014 - 8:45 am

So… yeah, I’ve been thinking about these burgers all week. Thank you for that. Seriously, thank you. :-) I think they’re going to have to happen over Memorial Day, since everyone will be eating and dogs and I’ll just be left with pasta salad.

Aren’t neighbors the best? We actually talk to ours now (unlike the meatheads who we lived next to in our apartment). It’s pretty wonderful.

Valerie17/05/2014 - 9:43 am

These absolutely look amazing! I’m definitely giving these a try!

Suzanne17/05/2014 - 11:15 am

Wow, this looks amazing! Did you include a link to the Old Bay recipe? If so, I’m not finding it/able to click on it. Thanks!!

Suzanne17/05/2014 - 11:17 am

gahh! of course, the link worked AFTER my last comment. :) Sorry! and thanks so much for sharing!

Heather | Heather Christo17/05/2014 - 8:11 pm

I love the flavors in this recipe! Your pictures are making my mouth water! Pinned

Kahlin18/05/2014 - 12:58 am

You’re not alone in the weeding. My brother forages dandelions to make dandelion honey (syrup). I’m not too fussed on it but he really likes it. Maybe worth exploring?

[…] Chickpea, Cauliflower, and Old Bay Veggie Burgers with Lemon Mayo. (♥) […]

Colleen18/05/2014 - 6:21 pm

I love the sound of this burger, but like with most veggie burgers, instructions are to saute. I am curious if you would recommend baking this veggie burger as an alternative way to cook it? Or have a suggestion for a baked veggie burger recipe…?

ATasteOfMadness18/05/2014 - 11:14 pm

I seriously JUST ate dinner, and this made my stomach rumble. I have recently become OBSESSED with chickpeas, so this came at the perfect time.

Amy19/05/2014 - 1:23 pm

Anything made with Old Bay is worth trying in my book!

michelle19/05/2014 - 1:47 pm

can i use reg. flour in place of the oat and chickpea flour?

Laura Wright19/05/2014 - 2:28 pm

Hi Colleen, I’ve never baked a veggie burger patty in my life! But I’ll try to help. I think if you bake them on a rack set into a cookie sheet, it would be do-able. Maybe set the oven to 375 degrees F and brush a bit of oil on the tops of the patties before putting them in. I’m guessing these would take 25 minutes or so with a little flip halfway through. If you try it, let me know any feedback. Curious!
-L

Laura Wright19/05/2014 - 2:29 pm

Hi Michelle, I think regular, all purpose flour would be fine. You might even be able to get away with using less of it too.
-L

[…] chickpea old bay veggies burgers. um… […]

elizabeth19/05/2014 - 4:01 pm

If my neighbors asked for a veggie burger recipe, I think I’d faint. But then any little thing can happen. These burgers look delicious. I love the idea of wrapping them up in big lettuce leaves.

[…] chickpea, cauliflower + Old Bay veggie burgers w/ vegan cashew lemon mayo […]

abigail20/05/2014 - 8:23 am

o.m.g i’m making these tonight

Adrienne23/05/2014 - 11:53 am

Yes!!! You read my mind lady. I’ve been wanting a new bean burger recipe to try. Thank you!

katie24/05/2014 - 2:27 pm

I just want to thank you for this recipe. My 18 month old son has been diagnosed with many allergies and cant’ eat a whole lot on his elimination diet. I made these into “nugets” and he can not get enough! He just keeps saying “more, more”. We’re enjoying them too.

links for you | My Blog26/05/2014 - 7:10 pm

[…] Something healthy. […]

Kasey28/05/2014 - 1:12 am

Can I come live with you? Because your little neighborhood (John, included) sounds dreamy. Beautiful storytelling (as always) lady. xo

Jordan @ The Blonde Vegan01/06/2014 - 12:28 pm

YUM… these look ridiculously amazing. And your food photography is seriously impressive. I am so glad that I stumbled across your blog today. You most definitely have a new reader!! I think I am even going to add you directly to my blog roll– I am so impressed!! Xox

Allison02/06/2014 - 9:57 am

What a fantastic recipe! And the neighbour story is so cute! I need to locate some old bay seasoning immediately. I’m a newbie to your blog and am loving it! Gorgeous photos, recipes, and stories. :)

Elena02/06/2014 - 4:50 pm

I love this post. We pull out our dandelions too. But, our neighbor story isn’t as great, once our neighbors took it upon themselves to spread fertilizer/weed killer on our lawn, thinking they were doing us a favor. Super. Awkward. And very upsetting! Saving the world, one dandelion at a time.

sweetashoney.co.nz02/06/2014 - 8:35 pm

Hi Laura, I found your blog on Saveurs and what a lovely surprise. I started following you on pinterest and facebook. I can not wait for the next recipes!

Isadora @ she likes food03/06/2014 - 2:18 pm

I LOVE your cashew mayo!! I always use veganaise, but I much prefer the idea of making some myself! I am definitely going to be making it this weekend. I’ve also been on the hunt for a good veggie burger recipe and this one looks great!

Kristen06/06/2014 - 10:30 am

These patties on a bed of sturdy greens seem like an excellent airport/travel meal. :)

The Knotty Dog Walker20/06/2014 - 10:07 am

Going to try these on the grill this weekend! Yummy and healthy :)

[…] 2. Chickpea, Cauliflower + Old Bay Veggie Burgers With Cashew Lemon Mayo from The First Mess […]

sil @ entre jardins03/07/2014 - 10:48 am

Hi Laura, just wanted to thank you for this recipe, we made these burgers, with a couple of modifications, for lunch and they were delicious! I also used whole rolled oats and a bit of almond meal for crunch. Also, we thought dividing the dough in 4 made extremely large patties, so we opted for 6. Cheers *silvia

Claire19/07/2014 - 6:36 pm

Hi, Laura! I am interested if you have ever tried substituting the cauliflower for another vegetable… broccoli, spinach, etc. I impulsively get the LARGE bags of broccoli at Costco every time (once a week!) and so am always looking for ways to use it up!!! Also, cauliflower never seems to make it past the hummus platter in our house ;) Thanks!

Claire19/07/2014 - 6:42 pm

P.S. – Or how about mashed potato?

Laura Wright21/07/2014 - 2:20 pm

Hey Claire, I think between broccoli or mashed potato, the potato would fare better in this recipe. The broccoli kinda lacks the creamy-ness that really helps with this recipe. Of course, you can always try it and report back! ;)
-L